AELC was constituted in the year 1927 in Andhra Pradesh, India. It is the Indian successor to the United Lutheran Church in America which was started as a self-supporting, self-governing, and self-propagating church among Telugu Christians.
The AELC was founded as a mission field of the then United Lutheran Church in America (ULCA) by John Fredrick Christian Heyer (known as Father Heyer) on 31 July 1842. There are more than 5000 congreagations under its umbrella, and more than 80,000 baptised members worhip every month in these churches under the spiritual leadership of 850 ministers . Also under its administrative aegis are 9 Mission Hospital, 24 Primary Schools, Andhra Christian College, Guntur, and 3 Theological Institutions namely Andhra Christian Theological College, Hyderabad, Andhra Lutheran Theological Seminary, Rajahmundry, and Charlette Swenson Memorial Bible Training School, Rajahmundry.
The AELC is a member of the Lutheran World federation, Geneva, and a member church in the United Evangelical Lutheran Churches in India (UELCI), a communion if Lutheran Churches, Chennai.